11/22/15

Varanus komodoensis



Varanus komodoensis. Pigment and India ink drawing on 19"x22" Bristol Board. It took me a year to complete this drawing. I started it last summer at my husband's request. I wanted to give it to him as a birthday present. His birthday came and went, I decided to finish it for Christmas. That too came and went. A few months ago I decided to dust off the drawing and complete it. It was a struggle to draw and enhance each scale. Finally it is done, just in time for his birthday. Happy Birthday to my Viking.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Reptilia
Order: Squamata
Family: Varanidae
Genus: Varanus
Subgenus: Varanus
Species: Varanus komodoensis
Binomial Name: Varanus komodoensis

Drawing Materials: Pigment, India ink, Bristol Board and extreme patience.
  









3 comments:

Bella Sinclair said...

That is really, really incredible. I love the deep saturation. Every square millimeter is carefully and meticulously designed. The dragons really do emerge. Absolutely gorgeous! Yes, yes, extreme patience. Are those all the pens you used up drawing this? Happy birthday to your Viking. Tsup!

Ces Adorio said...

Yes, Bella. Those are all the pens I used. I kept them in a plastic bag. The reason why there are so many is because I do not want to exert a lot of pressure on my wrist and so when I have used them enough I get a new one. I do not like using a pen until it is empty. I know it is extravagant but I have to protect my wrist.

pieterbie said...

This is amazing, Ces, it is so detailed.
Can hardly believe it is a drawing.
yes: lets pick up the tread and keep in touch.