4/30/13

Happy Birthday, Tatay




In progress...



Today is my father's birthday anniversary. He would have been 94. I miss him and think of him everyday. When I was growing up, I knew, that no matter the challenge or adversity, things will be alright when my father was around. He was a man of great courage, strong faith and gentle character. He did the best thing a father could ever do for his children, he loved our mother very much, very much. It was so obvious. In turn my mother loved him the same. To this day, my remembrance of my father gives me strength.  When I left for the U.S. my father flew to Manila so he can see me go. He was a stoic man, yet I felt so loved. He told me to call my mother often and write letters. He told me to often visit my sister who came to the U.S. a few years ahead of me. When I called, he always answered the telephone. I could hear the joy in his voice as he asked me how I was doing. He asked me if I saw my sister often and I heard the delight in his voice when I told him that we did a lot of things together. Then he gave the telephone to my mother. After talking to my mother, she gave the telephone back to my father so I can say goodbye. Just remembering all of that makes me cry, but I don't feel any sadness. Thank you Tatay, I love you very much. Thank you for loving Nanay very much and being a loving and very good father to my brothers, sisters and me. Thank you for loving my husband and my children. Thank you. Happy Birthday! Tsup!