Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wandering...




Wanderer II (detail). Archival ink on 8"x11" on 11"x14" Bristol Board



Was it last weekend? I was on call and working from home. Between calls, I stumbled upon this and was awed by the curved tree. Tammie Lee called it The Wandering Tree. It was covered with lichen. I found it beautiful. On Facebook, Tammie told me she would be honored if I drew it. I countered no, I would be honored. So here it is. Tammie it is an honor to draw your tree and I am doubly honored to put you in the middle of your forest. I have always admired your photography. You have the most beautiful eyes. You can see what others can't. You reflect the beauty of nature and you glorify its Creator. 

Tammie, thank you for paying attention to my drawings and paintings. Thank you for reading my words. Thank you for your encouragement. Thank you for gifting me prints of your magnificent snowflakes. Thank you for thinking of me when you drew this.  Thank you for your words of comfort during my sad times. Thank you for being kind to me when I was mourning the loss of my sister Leah. Just thank you for being you, beautiful, wonderful, artistic and absolutely fabulous. Thank you.




Wanderer II (because there is a Wanderer I). Archival ink on 8"x11" on 11"x14" Bristol Board



Talk about wandering, this photograph (detail) taken by my sister Freah  shows me with with my sisters  Leah and Mercedes and my daughter. Okay it is just a photo of our arms but I think you can identify mine. My sister sent this photo this morning with the caption "Remember this photo? Still holding drawing pencil..."

I want to share something I learned last month. I don't know where I have been. I mean for the past six years. I must have been occupied with life. Amy Winehouse came and went and I totally missed her. I knew she died last year. I remember my friend Linda Cardina post something on her blog. I offered a word of comfort and sadness for the loss of a young person but I really did not know Amy Winehouse. I did not know she was a singer. I have never heard her sing. Last month, I was talking to my daughter and she mentioned Amy Winehouse. I forced myself to view her videos and I was shocked. She had the most beautiful contralto voice. I cried. I cried because only a voice like that comes from God. She had a most beautiful gift. Then I started reading up on her and I spiraled into deep sadness. What a great loss. How sad to see the self destruction. I am also saddened to see her used by everyone. She wasn't without blame. She made choices but at a time when her life was taken over by drugs and alcohol, people still expected her to perform. Such tragedy. Bella said that she was a beautiful anachronism, that is probably why she couldn't stay. I feel so sad and tender towards her memory. May she rest in peace. 

Needless to say, I have been listening to Amy Winehouse. At a time when I am overloaded with assignments and stressed to the maximum, I find her beautiful voice comforting. The sadness I feel surprisingly keeps me going.




Thank you for reading. Have a wonderful day.