Search This Blog: Ces And Her Dishes

Loading...

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Illustration Friday - Undone

Undone
9"x12" Pigment ink and graphite pencil on Bristol board. I started drawing this image for "Undone" yesterday. I had a story in mind and it was very detailed involving machetes and swords so I left out those chapters and decided to post Chapter 8 below. Of course, the rest of the chapters are still inside my brain.

Chapter 8

One afternoon, for some unmentioned reason, she walked barefoot to the top of the hill overlooking the sea. She loved and hated that spot. It offered a beautiful view of the sea but the water below was black, silent and she knew it was deep. Sometimes she imagined voices taunting her to jump and she would shudder at the thought.

She sat on the base of the mahogany tree which was her favorite spot. That afternoon she brought with her a favorite book, leather bound and gold edged Pearl S. Buck's The Good Earth set in Palatino, which she has read hundreds of times. She also brought with her several ivory linen stationery papers, a black envelope and her Waterman gold-nibbed fountain pen with its gold filigreed barrel. All these fit in a resealable plastic bag which she also brought.

She meticulously reread the letter she wrote, making sure she made no typographical or grammatical errors. She was calm and unhurried. When she was satisfied she looked out into the sea. She stood up, looked back into the valley where her house stood among the trees and rolling hills. She knelt, folded the letter and sealed it inside the black linen envelope. She hesitated and for a moment could not decide whether to insert the letter on the chapter when the heroine was working in the field and had labor pains, gave birth and immediately returned to work or the chapter where after giving birth to another child she realized it was just another mouth to feed so the child miraculously died after a healthy cry. She chose one. She sealed everything in the resealable plastic bag with written instructions to the housekeeper. She set the bag aside and got up once more.

She looked back once again into the valley then walked towards the edge of the cliff. She closed her eyes and finally accepted the taunting dares from below.


24 comments:

Ces said...

This afternoon, I am looking at the big pile of laundry and contemplating my next move while my daughter and I are smothering Daisy with hugs and kisses. We are eating chocolate babka, I am drinking coffee and niblling on gorgonzola cheese and flatbreads and listening to Christmas carols. I hope your weekend is wonderful.

Dayle's Painted Diary-Dayle Dodwell said...

Wonderful illustration and writing. Sad though but beautiful. Hope your holidays are filled with joy.

Diana Evans said...

you are not only one amazing artist but you are a wonderful author too...you always have a way with words...

ohhhhhhh yummmmmmm chocolate babka...when I first read this it reminded me of that Seinfeld Episode on the chocolate babka...hehehehehe

and coffee....I am sharing some with you right now!!!!

Have a wonderful Sunday!!!

Hugs
Diana

Glen Hartjes said...

So sad, but now tell us about chapter nine, you know, the part where she lands in Santa's Sleigh just before waking on Christmas morning...
Sorry, couldn't help my self, I like happy endings.

Manon Doyle said...

Ces..... twin sisterfriend.... you are an amazing storyteller! Wow!! The illustration is incredible! Where do you find the time for everything? You pop these fantastic stories and drawings out so quickly.... I'm jealous!! Please send some of your magic pixie dust my way!!

yoborobo said...

I love your story, and the drawing. You are an amazing writer, Ces. I hope your holidays are joyful and filled with more chocolate babka, which I have never had, but which sounds delicious. :) xo Pam

Hannah M said...

Wow! Fantastic illustration and story.

Ces said...

Thank you Dayle, likewise.

Hah! Look who's talking. I remember that episode too. My husband was laughing about it yesterday. That was good coffee.

Hello Glen, Chapter 9. As she descended to the waiting angry sea she heard a thwack and a Ho Ho Ho! She growled in pain when she landed head-on on Santa's sleigh!

Manon, jealous?! Have you forgotten it is I who is jealous of you cranking those incredible paintings that would make Cassatt envious. I do these drawings at the expense of my laundry chores.

Hello Pam,you should try it. It's very good.It actually reminds me of some Filipino pastry. Have a wonderful Christmas holiday to you and yours.

Thank you Hannah.

Silke said...

Ces, you most amazing storyteller and artist, I wish I had just half your talent! You amazing me (I think I'm repeating myself in each comment I leave...)! I reread The Good Earth last year - what an amazing book! And chocolate babka - yummmmm!!! Much love, Silke
P.S. The laundry can wait...

Ces said...

Aaw Silke! You do and more! We just have different styles and you are very humble and kind. I hate doing laundry :) I love chocolate babka.

Silke said...

Apparently, I can't bake cookies either...;-) Actually, all the others turned out well - I just have to practice some more on this batch! I'm so with you on laundry - the never ending chore! By the way, I love your elephant banner!! Love, Silke
p.s. eat some chocolate babka for me!!

Jenea said...

Hi dear Cesssss!!!!! Your story is very interesting like this great picture! I want to ask you- "what kind of method you use for paint!???? ;) You paint with pen???

Ces said...

Well, Daniel saved the cookies and you are a great team together Silke.

Jenea, I drew this with a pigment pen and graphite pencils. Thank you.

Deborah said...

First, the Babka. YUMMY. Now the story; haunting. I feel captured in it. And worried. Now, I must go back and look at the drawing. I can only do so many things at one time...unlike you, you prolific little artist.

Deborah said...

**sighs** Another masterpiece, Ces. Truly. I want her to run down the hill and leap over the short stone wall, and leave the cliff and the pain behind. Ces, I don't know how you come up with all these detailed images, images with images...but that is what makes you The Artist and me not. You are brilliant, my sisterfriend. Brilliant. **blows kisses** Deb

Renee said...

So sad Ces. We will never succomb to the voices.

xoxoxo

Deborah said...

HA! True shoes! I am wearing Christmas socks! I cannot use my foot pedal with shoes on. teehee

Bella Sinclair said...

Each stroke is so full of purpose and thought, my dear Ces. Another brilliant masterpiece. She has come undone, but in a very tidy and orderly way. The shading is subtle and just perfect. Absolutely romantic and dramatic and perfect.

I want to hear more about the swords and machetes!

Ces said...

Deborah, babka rules! Good thing I do not have a need to steal it from old ladies yet. Ah maybe she is a graduate of the suicide academy? Glen wants a happy ending and I am getting admonitions from my sisters and now you are worried.

No, we should not renee, you are absolutely right!

Deborah I had a special shoe delivery in the afternoon!

Thank you dear Bella. Maybe IF will have a prompt called "amputate" or "hack"?

Renee said...

Love birds Ces, pure magic. I wish.

Love Renee xoxoxo

Sarah said...

Thank you Ces!! I love it when you come by!! Have you had trouble getting into my blog?? My sister Barb has too..I have been eliminating links and "stuff" in an effort to fix this. Hmmmmm...will keep working on it!
Glad ya like Renee's Tea Room..it was a joy to do!! It is on it's way to her as we speak. It means alot to me coming from you as I adore your work!!
Love, Sarah

Connie said...

Love your drawings and how I admire anyone who can write!

Deborah said...

No shoes at that time, but yes, matching socks. teehee.

Deborah said...

Awe, do you like them??? I may have over baked them a tad!!! teehee! That is the extent of my artistic abilities... **blows merry kisses** Deb

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...