Saturday, May 2, 2009

Illustration Friday - Hierarchy


The Daughters of Faith Hope Charity. 36"x48" Oil on Canvas

.

Mother's name in English means Faith Hope Charity. So I am not the youngest but I always felt I was the lowest in the totem pole in our sisterhood hierarchy. I am not complaining. That's just the way it was when it came to seeking each other's advice. Even my younger sister was sought for advice over me. Me, I was the last recourse. Nobody sought my advice. Everyone just dispatched me to run errands and get rid of the bullies. I felt I was my sisters' protectors, not that they needed any protection, actually they were trying to protect me, they always pulled me away from fistfights with the neighborhood boys. There was a family where the sons were named Junior, Wambol and Robot. Junior and Wambol were such bullies and I was not going to take any of the crap they gave my younger sister but my older sisters did not want me to get into fights. So while they pulled me away, Junior continued hitting and sometimes grabbed my dress and ripped it. That did not make me happy. I started wearing overalls and then one day, I taught him a lesson. Oh that was fun to remember that!
.

I love them all but I am especially very close to my eldest sister, she always helped explain my behavior to my parents hoping they would understand and show some leniency. She also gave me my first set of tempera, charcoal and professional colored pencils.
.
By the way, I have two older brothers and they asked for my advice.
.
.
I Will
.